The Ultimate Guide to Preserving and Canning
In one concise volume, you can learn—and master like a pro—all the ways to put up food in jars, from water-bath canning to pressure canning, from pickling to jam-making, and beyond!
Whether you are a gardener, a fan of farmers’ markets, or just someone who likes to browse the bountiful produce at the supermarket, canning and preserving are easy, fun, and affordable ways to enjoy fresh-grown foods all year long.
With clear, easy-to-follow instructions and color photographs, this book provides all the information you need to know to get started today, including:
- An overview of canning equipment
- Basic steps to canning foods safely and easily
- Recipes for preserving everything from tomatoes and jams to soups, sauces, and other hearty meals
- A special section on jam- and jelly-making using Pomona’s Pectin, which requires little to no added sugar
- Tips on how to find the freshest local produce
The recipes include lots of preparations, both savory and sweet, from blue-ribbon classics to new creations. Preserve and enjoy:
- Four variations on Tomato Ketchup
- Taco Sauce
- Green Tomato Chutney
- Spicy Dilly Beans
- Sweet and Spicy Ginger Carrot Coins
- Canned Haddock
- Chicken or Turkey Broth
- Creamy Squash Soup
- Strawberry Jam
- Blueberry-Vanilla Jelly
- Cherry-Port Preserves
- Apple-Raisin-Walnut Conserve
- And much more
This comprehensive book teaches beginners how to get started and gives seasoned veterans new techniques and recipes to try.